- 2023/24 Applications Open Until Tuesday 31st October 2023
- Important Documentation
- Payment for the award
- Useful Websites
- Useful resources for completing your award
- Welcome Packs
- General Guidance
- Resources for Award Sections
- Training Videos
- Volunteering opportunities & other ideas for completing your sections
- 2023/24 Expedition section information
2023/24 Applications Open
The system for application for the Bronze (Year 9) and Silver (Year 10) Duke of Edinburgh’s Award in the 2023/24 academic year is strictly open until 11:45pm on Tuesday 31st October 2023 – please note that no further applications will be accepted after that time.
Applications are to be submitted online by the deadline of 11:45pm on Tuesday 31st October 2023. A complete application consists of:
- Complete the online Duke of Edinburgh’s Award 2023/24 Application Form by clicking here.
- Payment of the at least the first instalment via ParentPay.
Please note that both parts of the application must be completed in full for the application to be valid. Any applications made with incomplete details, or the first instalment is not paid by Tuesday 31st October 2023 will not be processed.
There was an information Teams “Live Event” for parents and students on Monday 16th October 2023, at 18:30. The Live Event included a presentation about the structure of the award and offered for any questions to be sent via email.
Please see the following from the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Scheme for more information from them about the award:
- For Students – “Start your Bronze DofE” Presentation
- For Parents/Carers – Information Booklet
- For Parents/Carers- “A Parent and Carers’ Guide to the DofE Award” Presentation
- Duke of Edinburgh Award 2023/24 – Terms & Conditions – including full details regarding payment for the award (please find a summary below).
Payment for the Award
Participation in the DofE Award is subject to payment being received by Tytherington School’s Finance Office.
Payment is to be made in full or in instalments through our online ParentPay system, as set out in the table below. Any failure to pay the instalments by the dates shown on the application form will lead to participants being removed from the Award without refund of any amounts paid.
We offer financial support for those students in receipt of the Pupil Premium – please contact Mr Andy Pilbury (Deputy Headteacher) directly about this via email email@example.com and indicate receipt of the “Pupil Premium” and/or “Free School Meals” (FSM) in the online application form.
Please see Duke of Edinburgh Award 2023/24 – Terms & Conditions for full details.
|Instalments||Bronze Award||Silver Award||Payable by…|
Due following completion of application – to confirm the application
At the time of application, Tuesday 31st October 2023
Due six weeks prior to the Practice Expedition
|£100.00||£135.00||26th January 2024|
Due four weeks prior to the Qualifying Expedition
|£100.00||£135.00||Friday 10th May 2024|
|Cost “In Full”
Option to pay following completion of application – to confirm the application
|£325.00||£420.00||Tuesday 31st October 2023|
|There will be a discount applied for any students in receipt of the “Pupil Premium” and/or “Free School Meals” (FSM):
•PP Only = 30% Discount
•PP and presently FSM = 40% Discount
- ‘Doing your DofE’ Participants Info Website – Contains loads of information to support you in completing this independent award. Virtually all of the other resources found on this web-page have come from this website.
- eDofE – The portal for logging into your eDofE account, recording your activities and logging your hours of Volunteering, Physical and Skills sections, and providing evidence for those sections and your Expedition.
Useful resources for completing your award
The following are Zip files containing electronic copies of the contents of the DofE Award Welcome Packs:
- Click here to Download the Bronze Award Welcome Pack
- Click here to Download the Silver Award Welcome Pack
Please feel free to download and use the following resources to support your independent completion of the award:
- The eDofE Participant App – Download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store that makes managing your account very straightforward and uploading photos of evidence a breeze. There is a video guide on YouTube that helps understand how to use the App.
- eDofE Participants FAQs – Access 21 pieces of guidance regarding the use of the eDofE website or App.
- DofE Award Timescales – A visual guide to the minimum timescales for your completion of the award.
- Guide to Writing an Assessor’s Report – A guide to give to your Assessors for each section to help them complete their report for you.
Resources for Award Sections
The following table contains links and downloads that relate to each of the award sections:
|Resource||Volunteering Section||Physical Section||Skills Section||Expedition Section|
|Programme Ideas – Use this for ideas of what to do to complete the section and check if it meets requirements||Download Ideas Sheet||Download Ideas Sheet||Download Ideas Sheet||N/A|
|Programme Planner – Use this to plan the activity for this section and then type/upload into eDofE||Download Planner||Download Planner||Download Planner||N/A|
|Activity Log – Use this log to keep track of your hours spent on your section activity||Download Activity Log||Download Activity Log||Download Activity Log||N/A|
|Other Resources||N/A||N/A||N/A||20 Conditions of the Expedition Section
eDofE OS Mapping Guide – A guide to using the Ordnance Survey Mapping tool within eDofE.
See below for further Expedition Section information…
eDofE Training Videos
There are 7 videos set up within a playlist below. Please use the playlist icon to move between the videos and find the one that is relevant to you. There are videos to help you with:
- How to log-in on the edofe.org website
- How to use the eDofE App
- How to complete a section on the edofe.org website
- How to complete a section on the eDofE App
- How to change your DofE activity (if you need to, it can be done once)
- How to contact your leader
- How to locate and complete an Assessor’s Report
Volunteering Opportunities & Other Ideas for Completing Your Sections
When we become aware of opportunities for volunteering in the local area, to help you with completing your volunteering hours as part of the Dukeof Edinburgh’s Award, we will post them here:
- Blu Penguin Swim School – Are offering you the opportunity to complete your volunteering hours as a pool helper within their swimming lesson programme, based at Kings School Sports Centre in Macclesfield. Our swimming lessons are on Wednesday evenings between 6pm & 8pm and also during the weekends. Please contact Emma Pengelly directly firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Holy Trinity Hurdsfield “Kidzone” – HTH are offering volunteering opportunities of 2 hours per fortnight for up to 4 young people to work with their “Kidzone” club. Contact Jared Brown via email@example.com or by calling the church on 01625 424587 for details.
- Scoop & Scales Refill Shop, Macclesfield – Interested in helping to preserve our environment? Volunteers sought to help in our community cooperative shop which aims to reduce food waste and single use packaging. More information at: www.scoopandscales.co.uk Volunteers under the age of 16 are to be accompanied by an adult. If interested, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gawsworth Community Shop – Gawsworth Hub is a not-for-profit organisation. They are registered with the FCA as a Community Benefit Society, operating for the benefit of the local community, being accountable to the local community and having broad community impact. In addition to a community shop, they now also have a community café and meeting place. As such, they can offer volunteer placements in both retail and hospitality ( weekends and school holidays) . There are also one-off projects that volunteers can get involved with such as organising events.
The Hub has a strong track record of supporting young people undertaking volunteering as part of DOE and those looking to enhance their employability skills.
Their website provides more information about our valuable community asset www.gawsworthhub.co.uk
They would welcome any enquires about the opportunities they have on offer. I can be contacted on 07967 408865 or by email email@example.com
- Pearson Sports and Fitness Coaching – Jordan Pearson, of Pearson Sports and Fitness Coaching, is offering you the opportunity to complete your volunteering hours with his after-school sessions, held at Tytherington School. If interested, please contact Jordan Pearson directly via email – firstname.lastname@example.org
St Paul’s Beaver Scout Group – Beaver Scouts are 6 to 8 years old. We meet on a Wednesday evening between 6pm and 7pm at St Paul’s Church Hall, Glegg St, Macclesfield. We are looking for 1 or 2 volunteers who are over 14 to join us to help support the children as we run a fun and varied programme of activities. This would suit anyone who’s been in the Girl Guide or Scouting movements themselves, or anyone who’s interested in working with children.For more information contact email@example.com
- ‘Rookie Lifesaving’ course at Bollington Leisure Centre – Completing this course will go towards your Skill or Physical section of your award. Contact Fiona Ford at Bollington Leisure Centre for details
- Macclesfield Amateur Swimming Club:
|The Club runs on a Tuesday night at Macclesfield Leisure Centre on Priory Lane, with two children’s sessions 7pm till 7.30pm, then 7.30pm till 8pm.
Over the years we have had a number of Tytherington pupils learning to swim with the Club and many have gone on to help either as assistants in the water or as coaches on pool side.
We have also had Duke of Edinburgh students volunteering as part of that particular scheme.
Everyone who helps at the Club is a volunteer. No one is paid.
The Club has been helping the children of Macclesfield to learn to swim in a relaxed, non-competitive and affordable way for over 125 years.
We rely heavily on volunteers either in the water or on poolside and would ask that you make year 10 – 13 pupils, and also any DoE students aware of the opportunity to join us.
Any keen swimmers amongst members of staff and parents would be extremely welcome too.
There is an adult swim session from 8pm till 8.30pm which volunteers are able to enjoy free of charge.
For general information our prices from September will be £50.00 per swimmer, per term regardless of age. This is for one of the either of the children’s sessions or the adult swim.
- Skills for Life Cookery Workshop – www.speckled-hen.co.uk provides cookery workshops based at the Terra Nova School – click here for the flyer.
- IBM SkillsBuild – Offers a wide range of digital courses and certifications in tech and professional skills that are highly sought after by employers today. By completing these courses, DofE participants can fulfil the Skills section of their Award, as well as help their future employability. Here are just a few examples of the courses available:
- Preparing for your First Job
- Artificial Intelligence Fundamentals
- Explorations into Mindfulness
To be able to register for a IBM SkillsBuild account and progress towards your Skills section of your award, please contact Mr Pilbury – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Macclesfield Seal Swimming Club – please see the details for this volunteering opportunity via the image below:
2022/23 Expedition Section Information
The following dates have been agreed with Get Outside the Classroom for the 2022/23 academic year:
|Expedition Element||Bronze Award||Silver Award|
|Pre-Expedition Training Days||Monday 8th January 2024||N/A|
|Practice Expedition||Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th March 2024||Friday 22nd to Sunday 24th March 2024|
|Qualifying Expedition||Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th July 2023||Friday 5th to Sunday 7th July 2024|
Information about the specific expeditions will be posted here when they are published and please also see the Get Outside the Classroom DofE A5 Expedition Handbook.
Pre-Expedition Training Days
|Information||Bronze Award – Monday 8th January 2024|
|Participant & Parent Letter||Download Letter|
|Information||Weekend of Friday 22nd to Sunday 24th March 2024|
|Bronze Award Parent Letter for Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th March 2024 (inc. Drop-Off, Camping and Pick-Up Locations)
Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th March 2024 – NOT Friday 22nd March 2024
|Silver Award Parent Letter for Friday 5th to Sunday 7th July 2024 (inc. Drop-Off, Camping and Pick-Up Locations)||Download Letter|
|DofE Training Expedition Information Evening – Monday 4th March 2024, 18:00||View Presentation Slides
|Information||Weekend of Friday 5th to Sunday 7th July 2024|
|Bronze Award Parent Letter for Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th July 2024 (inc. Drop-Off, Camping and Pick-Up Locations)
Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th July 2024 – NOT Friday 5th July 2024
|Silver Award Parent Letter for Friday 5th to Sunday 7th July 2024 (inc. Drop-Off, Camping and Pick-Up Locations)||Download Letter|